Monday, January 24, 2011

Halfbreed



I've started a literature study on Halfbreed with my students. I love this book (and I'll post a review of it too, I promise), but it's a little strange teaching Aboriginal students about the products of white assimilation and structural violence in Canada. There's a little bit of my own racial guilt going on, I suppose.

I hope my students take a lot away from reading this book. It will tell them a lot about the history of the Metis, and the history of their own province. They'll learn about injustice and tragedies, and I suspect they'll recognize many of Campbell's problems in their own lives. I also want them to become empowered to speak out against assimilation and colonization, and to question their own role within Canadian society. I want them to dig deeper, and to emerge from this literature study with a deep awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment